søndag den 28. november 2010

Turbans are hot ! Thoughts of a moment in time....

I often find it interesting with these fashion hypes that suddenly one thing is just sooo cool that everybody just has to have it or if you wear it you're definitely 'it' - or in other words you'll be credited as the stylish person that will get some attention when walking around with the certain fashionable object. So what is über cool at the moment? Well, isn't it the old-fashioned headpiece we known for centuries in the middle east: the turban!! Yes, in times like these .... As I am from Denmark and often - way too often get exposed to politicians, debaters etc. arguing over whether the Muslim female immigrants ( often they are 2. to 3rd generation) should or should not be allowed to wear their head pieces - a scarf or a burka (which is a bit more controversial than a scarf in my opinion),  a tradition or way to show the world around them their belief...
However, I had always had a thing for scarf's and have spend many precious minutes in front of a mirror trying to tie a pretty scarf in some cool or let me rephrase it - not too ugly way around my head (like a proper head wrap), not always with that much luck!! So when I in my late teens found this über cool turban-looking hat that mostly reminded me about something the famous Danish writer, Karen Blixen (aka Isaak Dinesen in English) would wear, I was infused with joy and overloaded with visual imagination of me wearing this turban. However, things doesn't always goes as planned....Firstly, I don't think it was the right time for it when I got the turban (around '97) from that second hand store in my home town. 2nd of all, I don't think people at my high school quite understood why I was so overly happy about this head piece, nor would they think that it in fact was cool. 3rd of all....I am to this day not sure I was confident enough to make such a statement, which it would be to walk around with this turban / head wrap, and honestly even though I recently found it again in my old keeps and I know it is the hottest of the hottest to wear a turban / wrapped scarf like a turban again (and saw a pretty girl walking confidently around with one last night in black - when I was attending a gig at Vega) well, what I am trying to say is that I am not really sure that I will ever be able to walk around with a turban like that - except for when I have greasy hair on a day off, and just use the turban for fun at home dreaming of the cool responses it will get or rather I will get when wearing it out - and then be one of those 'it' -people, haha I just know it is not for me. But that doesn't mean that I still don't absolutely adore my turban, especially as it is hanging here on my clothing rack in my tiny bedroom. 
To wrap this up :) Here are two lovely pictures of Karen Blixen wearing her very famous head wraps or turbans!


Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar